Nitrogen generators for the wine industry: Enhancing quality and efficiency
In the world of winemaking, the pursuit of excellence and the preservation of quality are paramount. Therefore, winemakers are turning to a game-changing solution to enhance their craft: nitrogen gas. From preventing oxidation to controlling carbonation, nitrogen plays a vital role throughout the winemaking process.
How nitrogen is used through the process
Nitrogen is employed at various stages of the wine making process:
- Blanketing Tanks and Barrels: Nitrogen is used to create a protective blanket over the wine in tanks and barrels, displacing oxygen and minimizing the risk of oxidation.
- Purging and Sparging: Nitrogen is used to purge and sparge tanks and equipment, removing unwanted gases and contaminants that could affect wine quality.
- Bottling and Packaging: Nitrogen is utilized to displace oxygen in bottles before corking or capping, ensuring the preservation of wine quality during storage and transportation.
Benefits of using nitrogen in the wine making process
Using nitrogen gas in the wine making process offers several advantages:
- Oxidation Prevention: Nitrogen, being an inert gas, safeguards against oxidation, which can compromise the wine's taste, aroma, and overall quality. By displacing oxygen with nitrogen, winemakers create an optimal environment for wine maturation and preservation.
- Carbonation Control: Precise control over carbonation levels empowers winemakers to consistently achieve the desired effervescence in sparkling wines. This control ensures that each bottle of sparkling wine delivers a consistent and delightful experience to consumers.
- Wine Preservation: The replacement of oxygen with nitrogen in wine tanks, barrels, and bottles provides an effective barrier against oxidative reactions that can lead to wine deterioration. By extending the shelf life and maintaining quality over time, winemakers can ensure that their wines reach consumers in optimal condition, offering a delightful and satisfying tasting experience.
Benefits of on-site nitrogen generation
On-site nitrogen generation offers several advantages over traditional bulk deliveries:
- Cost Savings: Wineries can achieve significant cost savings by generating their own nitrogen rather than relying on expensive purchased gas, by eliminating rental charges, transport expenses, and evaporation losses.
- Supply Reliability: On-site generation ensures a continuous supply of nitrogen whenever needed, avoiding delays and interruptions caused by waiting for external deliveries.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Winemakers can adjust nitrogen flow rates and concentrations on-demand to meet specific requirements for different stages of the wine making process.
- Environmental Sustainability: With third-party nitrogen tanks, unused nitrogen is usually ‘blown off’ to prevent the risk of explosions. This results in gas wastage. With on-site gas generation, nitrogen is produced only as required. Furthermore, on-site generation reduces the carbon footprint associated with transporting nitrogen cylinders or tanks.
- Eliminate safety hazards: Nitrogen generators offer a safer alternative compared to high-pressure cylinders, which pose occupational risks and require stringent protocols.
A tailored solution
Our advanced nitrogen generators provide winemakers with a reliable, cost-effective, and sustainable solution for on-site nitrogen production. Whether you operate a small boutique winery or a large-scale production facility, our range of PSA and membrane generators, along with high-pressure nitrogen skids, offers a tailored solution to meet your specific nitrogen requirements.
Article via Pneumatech.com - Part of Atlas Copco Group
Browse our Nitrogen Generators
Pneumatech’s PMNG range of nitrogen generators utilizes proprietary membrane separation technology. Membrane generators are an excellent choice in low (90%) to medium (99,5%) purity applications such as tire inflation, fire prevention, tank blanketing and pipeline drying. Nitrogen pressures can go up to 12 bar (g) without the need for an additional booster.
Engineered for simplicity, durability and ease of use make the PMNG what we believe to be the most user friendly unit in the market. All pre-filters and controls are included inside the canopy.
The PPNG series is Pneumatech’s premium on-site nitrogen solution for low to high flows, with best-in-class performance and the most complete scope of supply.
The generator has outstanding air factors at full load thanks to the use of highly efficient Carbon Molecular Sieves (CMS) and back-flow pressurization.
The air consumption is also optimized at reduced nitrogen flow or pressure demands, thanks to the advanced energy saving algorithm, which automatically adjusts the cycle times of the generator.
The control and monitoring capabilities of the PPNG series are truly impressive.
Pneumatech gives oxygen to your business. With the PPOG series, Pneumatech offers an attractive replacement for traditional oxygen supply with very interesting returns on investment.
The PPOG1-120 series uses Pressure Swing Adsorption technology to extract oxygen from compressed air, resulting in oxygen purity levels up to 95%.
The PPOG 2-18 HE series is a true game changer in on-site oxygen generation. 30% more efficient than traditional oxygen generators, the PPOG HE gives you the oxygen volume, purity and reliability you need at a massively reduced cost and a smaller environmental footprint.
PSA Oxygen Generators
With the PPOG series, Pneumatech offers an attractive replacement for traditional oxygen supply with very interesting returns on investment.
Do you have an idea for our #expertcorner? Let
Who we are and how Ash Air can help your business!
Ash Air has been around in New Zealand since 1979, and we’ve grown into a nationwide company with international support and a reputation for quality and reliability.We look after all things compressed air for your business!
- Rotary Screw and Piston Air Compressors
- Vacuum Pumps and Blowers
- Nitrogen Generation
- An extensive line of Air Treatment components
- AIRnet Piping System and Filtration
- Mobile Compressors, Generators, and Light Towers
Ash Air's range of Chicago Pneumatic, ALUP, Pneumatech, and Atlas Copco products are used extensively around the world in industries ranging from oil and gas to food, automotive and farming, and we bring you these world-class compressors here in the land of the long white cloud.Our technicians are compressed air equipment experts and are dedicated to addressing customer needs. Supported with nationwide coverage, Ash Air offers one of the widest selections of compressed air, vacuum pump, and industrial gas equipment and parts available today in New Zealand.
Reliability and Efficiency
With Ash Air, you can count on reliability and high performance for even the most demanding applications. We focus our efforts on the following:
- Increasing uptime
- Reducing unexpected repairs
- Reducing energy consumption and meeting our sustainability goals
- Improving the cleanliness of compressed air
Talk to the team today:
Read more from our #expertcorner
There are two types of vacuum pumps: the ‘wet’ kind, which is essentially a hydraulic pump, and the pneumatic, ‘dry’ variety. Read More…